Monday, December 4, 2006

Gwyneth clears the air

Gwyneth Paltrow is upset by recent media criticism that she has become "anti-American" since her move to London. The Oscar winner told People mag that she was misunderstood when a Portuguese newspaper recently quoted her as saying, "The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans." Paltrow explained, "First of all I feel so lucky to be American. When you look at the rest of the world, we're so lucky, and that's something my dad always instilled in me. I feel so proud to be American." As for the quote in question, the Proof actress says she never gave an interview to the Portuguese paper, but did do a press conference in Spanish. "This is what I said. I said that Europe is a much older culture and there's a difference," Paltrow clarified. "I always say in America, people live to work and in Europe, people work to live. There are positives in both. Obviously I need to go back to seventh-grade Spanish!" The actress and her husband Chris Martin live part-time in London with their two children. "I live in England half the time because I'm married to an English guy," Paltrow says. "It's not like I've left America."

No comments:

Post a Comment